Well Ive been posting updates on FB but I forgot to do it here. After my last post where Mavis was at the Marsden having one of her funny Turns. They monitored her and ran tests but no conclusion. She was allowed home. However on the Wednesday Morning early a Phone call from Doctor come back into hospital asap and stay for a couple of nights. So Off we went and they had a bed all sorted. It turns out that what she has been suffering on these fortnightly appointments is apylactictic Shock . The pict line has an infection in it. So when we arrive the first thing they do is Flush it and take bloods. About an hour later she goes into shock. because the Flushing of the pict line pushes the infection back into her blood stream this is what is causing the problem. So she has been kept in and is administered as an infusion through a temporary line a heavy antibiotic. day and night. They have removed the original line and sent it for analysis. We get confirmation update on Monday when she will be discharged with antibiotic tablets untill I next appointment. She will get a new pict line and a scan and more tests and another culture test to confirm the infection has cleared. Apylactic shock if not treated urgently can be fatal as it causes blood poison and shuts down organs. . I am surprised this has not been picked up before. Do they not test for this every appointment when they do blood tests? And should the pict line have been left in situ for as long as 18 months.
I have visited today and she looks tired but is her usual perky self, worying about her mesowarrior blogs and help pages. What a woman. She has problems with the temporary catheters. and had to have another one fitted this afternoon. On Monday after more test results over the weekend are in she expects to be disharged. But I must wait and see. Thats about all the news I have todate.